Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Judge Elisabeth

..not quite as thrilling as "Judge Judy," but entertaining none the less.

Yesterday, I took Elisabeth to work with me. She was really cute and well behaved. Not the shy kind, she marched right into a few judges' offices and stuck her hand right out to be shook. She told them all about her Christmas, wished them Merry Christmas (even the Jewish one), and told them about her future plans to be a fire fighter and an ambulance driver. (as an aside on that one, she also said to me yesterday "Mommy - when are you going to take me back to the park by preschool? They have a big pole there so that I can practice my fireman's slide. You know I need to practice or I'm not going to be a very good fireman..."

We did all sorts of stuff at work yesterday, including actual work. I had a theory that I could teach a 3 yr old to do some of the stuff I do and I proved that theory to be correct. She can successfully update the computer system with file locations, stick green dots in the correct place, and push all around the courthouse delivering files to their proper location (did I really get a JD for this????)

The courthouse was empty yesterday, only a few hearings went on and that was only in the morning. So, since our courtroom was empty I took Elisabeth in and let her sit where the judge sits. I explained where the jury sits, where the defendant comes in and sits, where I sit... she was thrilled. I asked her if she wanted to pretend to be the judge and of couse she did. So she sat down in the chair and very judiciuosly said "Good morning everyone. Today is..." and at that point she looked down and looked into her pants. I was utterly confused as she stared at it for a few seconds and then proclaimed, "Today is Tuesday." She was wearing day of the week underwear. I didn't tell her that the judges wear robes. She'd never be able to figure out the day then!

She sentened someone to three days in prison and then wanted to go back to my office I have stickers and a big bag of pita chips that I let her it at will. We stayed at work until just after 2pm, and while I was champing at the bit to leave - Elisabeth wanted to stay. I might just send her next week, I'm pretty sure she could hold down the fort.

No comments: