Thursday, July 9, 2009

Vacation Bible School

I don't know about the rest of you, if you went to VBS, but when I went the theme was something like "God loves you. You're special. Happy happy happy."

Elisabeth is learning about.... the plagues. She came home from the second day and said that she wanted to have a play at our house. She was going to "write out our lines." She got two huge pieces of paper and an orange marker. My piece of paper said "GOD SENT BUGS." Doug's piece of paper said "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO."

So Elisabeth stood at one end of the room and commanded Doug (who was apparently playing the role of the mean old Pharoah) "LET MY PEOPLE GO!" Then she told him to read his lines, which he did saying "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO." She pointed to me, signaling that it was my turn, so I said "GOD SENT BUGS." And then she pretended she was a bug and attacked the Pharoah.

We repeated this with chickens, cows, cow eating cows, and attack owls at which point it was time to brush teeth and hit the tub.

As a side note, I relayed this story to my mother and said "Oh they're learning about the 7 plagues." My mother, who knows more about the Bible than anyone I know said "I thought there were 10 plagues." Not one to argue with her (stop laughing, I know when to pick my battles), I said "oh right, 10."

When I got home, I asked Elisabeth how many plagues there were. She looked at me as though I was the dumbest person on earth and said... "10." I'm not sure what it says about me that I trusted my 4 yr old more than my mother?? But Elisabeth doesn't forget anything, ever.

So, back to the plagues - Doug and I have been considering how we work this into our parenting. The whole idea behind teaching them about the plagues is so that they learn not to fear. God sends the plagues but then he helps the people through it (at least this is what Elisabeth has relayed to me, I'm not certain this is actually the lesson learned from the plagues, but I suppose it doesn't matter if this is the lesson Elisabeth has taken away from it.) In what might be termed the "Fire and Brimstone" discipline plan, we've been considering telling Elisabeth that if she doesn't do X, God might send attack weasels. And, since she now has ten examples of God doing just that, she might believe it.

This might be more powerful than 1,2,3 but I am a little fearful to unleash it. I mean, what if God really does send attack weasels??? They've got big fangs!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Sounds like you guys are doing Crocodile Dock too? Seems like the curriculum everyone bought this year. Zoe is doing it twice, since she is going to two different VBSs.