Sunday, December 20, 2009

Advice from a big sister for those considering a second child...

We just got back from a wonderful weeklong trip to Disney with my mom and sister and niece, who is 3.  Elisabeth, Annaleis and Charlotte had a lovely, if not loud, time playing together.  Poor Annaleis, though, by day 3 she did not want to come out of her room after she woke up.  Instead she sat by the door, relishing her last little bit of peace.  That is how crazy my crazies are.  I can understand, believe me, there are many days when I don't want to come out of my room either.

Anyway, my sister is somewhere around 20 weeks pregnant, and I guess Elisabeth thought she needed some advice.  We overheard my 4 year old telling my sister in a very advice-giving tone of voice something to the effect of "you know, babies aren't always nice.  Sometimes they bite."  A sort of "take it from me, I've been there, don't get too excited about this so called 'bundle of joy' you've got growing in there because it will come out and bite you."

Now, given Elisabeth's only experience with having a new baby, this was fair advice.  This week was the first time both girls have had to sleep in a bed together.  The number of times Doug and I had to go in there and yell at them is pretty much uncountable.  And this countless number of times was always, ALWAYS, attributable to Charlotte.  Elisabeth was being a saint.

Twice, Doug went in and Charlotte handed over Baby Ginny and Baby Llama without a fight and said "me mack Zizzy."  We have a video monitor,we know its true.  We'd watch as Elisabeth peacefully tried to go to sleep and Charlotte would breach the pillow divide we created and climb on Zizzy and haul off and "mack" her good.

So all of you considering more children, take it from Elisabeth.  They ain't all sugar and spice and everything nice.  Sometimes they bite.

1 comment:

jcc said...

Charlotte is kind of awesome even if she did mack Zizzy.