Monday, October 6, 2008

Little People and addresses

I love listening in on Elisabeth's time playing with her Little People. She has such interesting games that she likes to play. I took her to work with me a few weeks ago. We walked by the jail, and I pointed it out to her. I should think about these things before doing them. She was really concerned about people going to jail. Did they ever get out? How did they get out? Why did they go to jail? Are they bad? Do they die in there? Well they die in there if they never get out, right? You just said some people don't get out.

So, on Saturday, after a fun filled super secret event that I'll have to blog about on Oct. 16, Elisabeth sat on the floor playing with her Little People. All 583 of them. She took a long piece of string and put it in a very straight line on the floor. She lined those people right up. And then one by one, they all went to jail. Until Charlotte wanted one. That one got a pardon. But she took each one of them and told them they were bad and were off to jail. Now, you might remember that we have a very special Little People set- the Nativity Set. With characters like Mary and Joseph. Who both- you guessed it - went to jail. As did Noah. And the angel. And all of the shephards. Baby Jesus did not go to jail, though. This is because Baby Jesus may well be lost, again. He turns up every so often, but I'm not sure he's currently locatable.

Today was fire safety awareness day at gym class. How this ties into gym class, we're not sure, but they taught them to stop, drop, and roll - so I guess rolling is gym related. Anyway, they taught the kids to call 9-1-1 and even made them practice calling using a fake phone. Elisabeth tells us that she got Miss Congeniality because her message was the nicest. I thought it might be a good idea to quiz her on our address at dinner. So I asked her if she knew our address. She replied "1123" (numbers changed to protect the innocent). I asked her our road, and she knew that too. Then, I said, "now if someone asks you your address, you can tell them!" Again, I should think before I speak. I immediately qualified that statement with, 'if teachers, policemen, or firemen ask you for your address, you can tell them. But don't tell strangers." Of course she asked why she shouldn't tell strangers our address, to which Doug replied "we don't want them to come and bother us." And so she said, "ooooh ok. If a stranger asks for my address, I am going to tell them 1124!" That will throw them off...

No comments: