Thursday, October 2, 2008

in which Erica plots the demise of a preschooler... and not my own.

After preschool today, Elisabeth asked Doug, "Daddy, is Santa Claus real? Or do you and mommy put the toys in the stocking?" He responded with "What do you think?" And then, mercifully, the UPS man came and she was immediately distracted by the new box in the house. (quite literally saved by the bell).

I'm crushed! I love being Santa!! I'm glad we haven't had to either lie to her or fess up to her just yet - but where is she getting this information???? Obviously it is one of the little kids in her class. Most likely one with an older sibling. A mean, mean older sibling. And I plan to find out which one. And tell them that there is in fact a Santa, but he just doesn't come to their house because they're bad, bad kids. I have an email to the other parents drafted in my head, but I am going to employ the smart strategy of sitting on it for 24 hrs and then toning it down.

Oh another note, I am impressed that Doug had the presence of mind to answer her question with a question. I'm pretty sure I would have stammered uncomfortably and then lied to her. I'm going to be fabulous with those talks about boys...

Elisabeth has been into singing lately. She makes up all sorts of songs. Here is a recent one that she was singing in her room before bed - I love seeing how her mind works things out.

(sung to the tune of something that sounds a bit like our new favorite song in this house - "When You Wish Upon a Star")

When Mommy and Daddy are talking, and I want to talk, I have to waaaaaait.
But when Daddy and me are talking, and Mommy wants to talk, she has to waaaaaaait.
And if Mommy and me are talking, and Daddy wants to talk, he has to waaaaaaaait.
And if Me and Charlotte are talking, and Mommy or Daddy want to talk, they have to..... Mommy? Do you and Daddy have to wait if Charlotte and I are talking?

Little Miss Charlotte (formerly known as Cranky Pants, but overnight has become Happiest Child Ever) is an accomplished climber. Today, she climbed into her high chair 100% unassisted. And yesterday Doug looked up and saw a 13 month old's head pop up over the back of the couch. So, life around here just got a bit more dangerous. She is also almost doing somersaults all on her own. She is so close. She can't talk, but we're thinking of putting her on the Chinese Olympic gymnastic team for 2012.

Phillies Fever has hit this household hard. This evening, Shane Victorino - perhaps the favored Phillie in this house, certainly Elisabeth's favorite Phillie, hit a grand slam home run off of arguably the league's best pitcher. Elisabeth was in the tub. But when she got to see it on re-play (thank you Tivo Gods!), she jumped around and had a "celebration" as she calls it. We've been working on her touchdown dance as well. The Phils are 2-0 in this series. One more win and we get to go to the NLCS. Excitement is running high.

Finally, there haven't been any crazy people at the courthouse this week. Unless you count Heather, and I don't think she counts because I couldn't get the deputies to take her down. It has been relatively quiet. Of course, Fridays bring out the biggest crazies, so I withhold final comment until tomorrow evening.

1 comment:

whatsthedeal said...

Oh I totally count as a crazy. And I figured out where I know Nick Lawrence from -- he used to write for the Docket! Embarrassing that I didn't remember that. Oh well. :)

Dutifully wondering what bodily fluids will end up on the 2nd floor couches this week,

Heather