Sunday, April 5, 2009

The flip side of lying is brutal honesty.

(Three posts in one weekend??  What??)

This weekend has completely reset my Elisabeth Patience Meter, which was as of Friday completely at zero (and it does not have the sneaky reserve that our cars' fuel meters have - empty == empty).  Elisabeth has been fun and sweet and really just enjoyable to have around.  I don't think we had a single time out all weekend.  We've gotten close, but I think she's managed to pull herself together before the magic "three" each time.

In an effort to reward her good behavior, I'm trying to say "yes" to her more often.  I played computer games with her this morning, against my true desires.  I played games in the car instead of turned on music.  And when she said "Mommy, will you look at my picture book with me?"  I responded in the affirmative.

We began to look through the book - most of the pictures from from the last 1.5 years.  We looked at pictures of her going to the dentist for the first time, pictures of her cleaning the deck.  With each one, she told me very sweetly what it was about.  "Mommy, this is the first time I ever went to the dentist!  Aren't I being a brave girl?  I was three then.  I wasn't scared."  

"And this is when I helped Daddy clean the deck.  I'm wearing the shirt that Laila gave me.  I love yellow, it is my favorite favorite color.  And blue.  And this is before you cut my hair, see how long it is?"

So sweet, so cute, so chatty.

We turned to the picture of the four of us at Disney World with Mickey Mouse.  I'm holding a three month old Charlotte on one side of Mickey and Doug is standing with Elisabeth on the other side of Mickey.  I'm fully expecting "Oh, Mommy!  This is when we got to go to Disney World!  It was so fun, we got to meet Snow White."  Instead, I got, "Mommy, this is when you were still fat."  And a page turn.






No comments: