Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Where meat comes from...

Elisabeth is clearly trying to sort out what types of things she's putting into her mouth.  Here are two funny comments from this weekend:

1.  Mommy - there are two kinds of turkeys.  The kind that are birds and walk around and say gobble gobble gobble, and the kind we eat.  Response was "no, sweetie, they're both the same.  We eat the birds."  To which she said "yuck."

2.  "Grandaddy - ham is just smooshed pig."

It is hard for me to discuss with her because I have my own very strong feelings on the subject, and but for my laziness and inability to cook lots of vegetables I would be a vegetarian.  Thankfully she hasn't really asked how the animals die or anything like that because I'm not sure I can show her that YouTube video of the turkey getting thrown in to the woodchipper-like machine...

Also noteworthy, prior to entering law school I never used the phrase "but for" in a sentence. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm in Kansas right now and was actually thinking "Dev would LOVE all this farm equipment! we should def bring him here!!" until i realized that so many of these huge 'warehouse' style buildings with signs that read "be skinny, eat meat" and cattle grazing out front required more explaining than i am qualified to give. i think E's got it thus far- ham IS smooshed pig.