Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

This was, I think, my favorite Mother's Day yet.  I got warm cookies in bed, brought by my sweet little girls and husband.  Then, presents!  Followed by a whole day at home.  If I could get another two weeks of days like that (I'll even give up the daily presents), I'd be regenerated.   Sadly that isn't going to happen.  But, this is a pretty light work week for me, and I'm planning to escape early at least two days this week.

As we approached Mother's Day this year, I began to reflect on everything that has changed in my life in the past 4 yrs.  Here's the top 10 things I came up with.

1.  I used to have my own stuff.  Now, it appears that everything belongs to the kids and the benevolent dictators sometimes let me use it.   For example, anytime I have a pain of any sort I put heat on it like the guy in My Big Fat Greek Wedding uses Windex.  I have my favorite microwave heating pad that is purple and smells like lavender.  My mistake was letting Elisabeth use it when she had an earache.  Now, she wants it as a towel warmer, bed warmer, cuddle toy, etc. and I have to sneak in and take it away when she's asleep...

2.  I used to get calls from friends saying "hey, do you want to go to [insert hip nightspot here] tonight?"  And not only did I say yes, I went!  Without giving a thought as to who was going to watch the kids.

3.  Dinner was a meal that I clearly took for granted.  I even cooked, but I'd just cook, sit down (once) and eat.  I didn't have to get up 15 times for various ecoutrements.  I probably gained more weight though.  Our current situation is like aerobic eating.  

4.  Sleep was not nearly as coveted as it is now.

5.  Going to Disney was not nearly as exciting as it is when you have a four year old who literally can't sleep at night at the thought of it.

6.  Before kids, I did not count everyone to three when they started misbehaving.  For example, Maggie the Dog had never heard 1-2-3 before Elisabeth turned 2...

7.  Before kids, I never once found myself humming the themesongs to Backyardigans, Dora, Between the Lions, or Martha the Talking Dog.

8.  Before Elisabeth came along, I was not even close to being able to fully appreciate the joy people felt when new babies were born.  Sure I said I was excited, and I was, but after seeing your own babe for the first time and hearing that little cry something physical changes inside.

9.  Before kids, I heard every single pip and squeak and scream that every kid ever made around me.  Now, I have an amazing noise filter.

10.  Before kids, I never realized how much I'd cherish the feeling of a little person's hand reaching up to take mine.


1 comment:

beckmast said...

my favorite is #8 - even made me cry a little. Probably because I just had a baby and - you know - hormones.... but still... it IS the best thing hearing your baby cry for the first time. Truly.