Monday, June 23, 2008

O-N spells NO when I hold it this way.

This morning, Elisabeth had a little trouble in the poop department. I wonder how much therapy she'll need when she's old enough to realize that I shared this little detail with the world. Anyway, I told her that later I'd give her some of her absolute favorite food to help with the problem - black beans! She loves black beans and will eat half a can at a time. She was, needless to say, thrilled.

About 10 minutes later, I mention the situation to Doug. He suggests some fruit, and coincidentally I have 10 plums sitting on the counter. So, like the industrious, nice, daddy that he is, he chopped up a plum for Elisabeth as a "special treat." Well, as I'm sure you could see from a mile away - the kid wasn't going to eat a plum. There was whining. Pouting. Sulking. So we made a deal. If she would eat one slice of plum, Doug would go get the black beans and she could have as many black beans as she wanted. She didn't like the plan.

Doug went to fetch the beans leaving the two of us at the kitchen table - her with a bowl of plums in front of her. I said, "come on, eat a plum - then you can have the beans. Plums are good - you'll like them." She shook her head.

"But, Elisabeth, you can't have beans unless you have one teeeeeeny sliver of plum. Just eat the plum." Rebuffed again.

"Elisabeth - take a bite of the plum. Its sweet. Yummy. And it will help you poop." She looked around. There were some word flashcards that she had cut out yesterday. High frequency words that the kids are supposed to memorize from sight. She picks one up and very purposefully shows me what it says. Arm straight out, determined look in her eye. O-N.

I laughed. "On? You want a plum? On." She said, perturbed, "NO! I'm holding it backwards, it says NO!"

You'll be happy to know that she did take a bite of the plum. She proclaimed that it wasn't so bad. And asked that we leave the bowl out "in case she wants more later."

Also, I just took a piece of a dog treat out of Charlotte's mouth. yuck.

No comments: