Monday, March 9, 2009

Sleep positions

You know what I love most about having kids?  When they come in and sleep in your room in the middle of the night.  They're so angelic looking, sleeping peacefully next to you.  It makes you remember how special it is to be a parent - the miracle of life.  That this perfect creature, so full of life, was born of my womb.  

And then... they kick you in the head.  And sleep sideways.  With their feet pressing against your skull.  And you're left with the option of (1) waking the sleeping beast who might not ever go back to sleep, (2) going to sleep elsewhere, or (3) just sucking it up and dealing.  

I chose option 3 last night after an unfortunate pull-up incident.  Really, is sleeping exactly perpendicular to the people next to you necessary?  Apparently so, if you're 4.  This is even better on a "spring forward" night when you have to go to work the next morning.

Notably, I don't think Charlotte has ever slept in a bed with us.  Not even when she was tiny.  She's always been a "don't touch me" type while she's sleeping.   If you try to rock her before bed, she tolerates it for 30 seconds and then pushes you away and points to her crib.  This is not terrible, because it rarely puts me in the position to have to choose option 3.  But at the same time, those cuddles are nice in a non-perpendicular sleeping arrangement.



1 comment:

Amy said...

I find that either Dave or I opt for the "find somewhere else" probably 3 nights a week. I'm feeling your pain!