Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Typical Wednesday

Between Charlotte and the cats, I think Fish Prince Charming Charming Charming will be lucky to survive a month.  Today Doug caught little miss Charlotte on a chair that she hauled over to thekit kitchen island.  She was armed with the fish food, right over Fish Prince's bowl.

Today, I called on my way home from a very long day at work.  The long day at work was capped off by a long traffic jam for the first mile of my commute.  The long traffic jam was capped off by an insanely weird camoflage jacket wearing scary guy at the gas station, where I had to stop because I swear my car was sputtering in the traffic jam.  The insanely weird camoflage jacket wearing scary guy was asking to use people's cell phones in between cursing at the pay phone.   If you said no to the phone, he asked for a dollar in change.  My day was not good.  I had no patience for the endless parade of annoying phone calls today.  Anyway, before I go off on a tangent about how some things actually are my problem but a vast majority of clamities in the world or even just calamities that you might experience at the courthouse are not my problem I will go back to the point of this vignette and that is that I called home.  And Doug told Elisabeth to cheer me up.  Elisabeth was very concerned, and her little voice sounded so sweet that the bad of the day melted.

E:  Mommy, what's wrong?
Me:  Oh, I just had a long day at work that wasn't so good.
E:  Did you have FOUR  boxes of work to do?  
Me:  I do actually have four boxes, but mostly Mommy's just grouchy today.
E:  Well, Mommy, just come home!  I promise we'll be good.  We'll behave.  I'll eat my dinner - all of my nuggets even!  And my veggies too!

It was just too cute to pass up, so I did in fact go home.  And........Elisabeth ate a fantastic dinner and truly did behave.  

One part of my day wasn't so bad, though.  I keep my door open at work, and I work in the public hallway at the courthouse.  Needless to say, I get to see some real characters.  It is amazing how many people will just come right in my office and chat with me.  Most of the time this is ok - but sometimes it is unwelcome.  Today, there was a group of about 7 people sitting outside my office.  They were a very happy group - which quite frankly is rare in the courthouse.  People aren't generally happy to be in court.  These people were happy.  They got louder and more boistrous.  Then they began to dance.  Ballroom dancing!  They twisted and twirled.  They critiqued each other.  They choreographed.  They did the hustle.   This went on, every 20 mins or so, throughout the entire day - from 10am until I left at 5:30.  It turns out there was a noncompete case being heard in the courtroom near my office with the plaintiff one Fred Astaire Dance Company and the defendants some former teachers there.  Never a dull moment folks.

Doug took the girls to Dave and Buster's today with his company.  They played "Hit the mole" (which no matter how many times I said whack-a-mole, Elisabeth repeated "Hit the mole").  They also bowled, rode snowmobile simulators, and played skiball.  Seems like Doug got the better end of the day, right?

No comments: