Friday, September 19, 2008

double knots

So, I'm a law clerk and as a law clerk, I get to sit with the judge in court one day a week. Two weeks ago, I was wearing my nice black suit, with the jacket buttoned. Under the jacket, I wore a nice red/pink sweater that tied around the neck. The only thing holding that sweater up was a tied ribbon. And, friends, lesson learned. Double knot whatever it is keeping you from flashing a courtroom. As I'm sitting there listening to some oral arguments I think.... hmmmm, I feel a bit of a breeze. I look down and my sweater is now around my waist. Thank heavens the jacket buttoned up enough to keep me decent, but leaning over might have lessened that decency.

So I had to sit there and figure out how in the world I was going to re-dress myself without everyone knowing. And can you imagine how hard the people who watched the whole situation "un-furl" laughed? I turned my chair around and pretended to shuffle the files that I keep in boxes behind me. I managed to get myself re-dressed relatively quickly, but it provided a good laugh and an important life lesson.

At least I didn't give birth on the 2nd floor of the courthouse like someone did two days ago.

No comments: