Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I don't want them to get older!!!

I know that you can't protect your kids from the world forever. And that eventually most kids turn out to be somewhat decent adults (ok, maybe that is an overstatement). But, a story that Doug related to me about this little girl at the preschool opening day celebration has me really annoyed.

The opening day celebration was on the school grounds. Lots of kids were on the playground, including Elisabeth. There are two "house" structures on the playground. Elisabeth and this little girl were playing in one of the houses. After awhile, Elisabeth came over to Doug and asked, "Daddy, how do I become beautiful?" And he said, "what do you mean?" And she said, "That little girl said that only beautiful people can play in that house."

Doug handled the situation differently than I would have. I would have snatched the little girl bald-headed and let her know just how beautiful my little Elisabeth is. Doug, the high road taker that he is, told her that she is beautiful and that the little girl wasn't playing nicely. And then he told her to go play in the other house, and make it the nice house that anyone could play in. So she did. And then little boys came in to play. And then the little boys decided it was the "boys only" house and that she had to go. But, my little shrinking violet told them that it was not going to be the "boys only" house, but that it could be the "boys and one girl only" house. They were happy with that, and all played happily.

Ever since Doug told me that story, though, I've kind of had this pit in my stomach of the things to come. I don't know how I'll sit idly by and watch my little girls go through what all little girls go through. Maybe I should start a bail bond fund. But seriously, this aspect of child rearing seems so out of my control and so awful. Certainly a big check mark in the plus column for home-schooling. Luckily Elisabeth didn't seem too sad and couldn't really even recount the story to me, which means it didn't really bug her. So I guess as long as she isn't bothered, I shouldn't be too worked up over it. But that little girl better hope she doesn't see me in a dark preschool hallway...

In happier news, Charlotte chose today to really start walking. She's so cute. She takes a few good sturdy steps. Then the wobble starts. It starts pretty small, just a balance check. But with each step the wobble gets greater until it knocks her right over.

We saw a deer in our backyard today, eating my butterfly garden. Most people would probably be upset about this, but in this house we are thrilled to get a deer so close to the house in broad daylight. Elisabeth and Charlotte were both excited, but for Charlotte it was one of the most exciting things she's ever experienced. She thought it was a dog. She clapped. She banged on the window. Clapped some more. Bounced. Hollered. I hope that deer comes back, just for Miss Charlotte.

In my next post, I will shamelessly brag about Elisabeth's art skills. Let's just say, she definitely got my artistic genes.

2 comments:

whatsthedeal said...

Bail Bond fund. Ha. Seriously, though, whose jerk kid is that? Doug has much more self restraint than both of us, apparently - because I would have run over to that little house and given that girl a piece of my mind. Or maybe the mom of that girl. Or both.

beckmast said...

argh - i'm right there with you Erica. I had tears in my eyes when the man at the boardwalk told Lily she was too short to ride the silly train ride. I have no idea what I'll do when some snot-nosed kid tells Lily to take a hike because she's not beautiful enough. "beautiful people?" really??