Friday, September 19, 2008

politeness

Elisabeth, by all accounts, has very good manners. The problem is that she doesn't quite get what things are really, truly nice. An example...

Me: Elisabeth, you look like you have to go to the bathroom, do you?
E: Yes! I have to poop! And youuuuuu can wipe my bottom. I don't want to hurt your feelings. I'm being nice.

or...

Me: Elisabeth, do you want some chicken nuggets?
Elisabeth: Yes please! And you get to get them for me, because I'm nice and I let you.

I'm glad we've created a little world for her in which she is the center of the universe, but perhaps maybe it is time to let her know that wiping her butt isn't really, truly my idea of a fabulous time.

Charlotte walks everywhere now. It is too cute. She's still wobbly and looks like a baby giraffe or something. She is also quite a climber, and I believe she is the textbook example of "independent cuss." She wants no part of being held or cuddling. And if you kiss her, she gives you an evil look and turns her head. She wants to be put down and she wants to go about her business. Her business is playing with every single toy and non-toy in the house. If it is anything less than 3 feet off of the ground, she grabs it and plays with it.

The only cuddling you get with this one is by putting her on your back in the Ergo.

As an aside, does anyone else get actually dizzy in some supermarket aisles? The cereal aisle especially. I walk down it and, perhaps I walk to fast, but the fast color changes out of the corner of my eyes makes me feel like I might get dizzy and fall over.

This weekend, I might try and sew a Halloween costume for Elisabeth. Lord, help us all.

2 comments:

jcc said...

Yeah! Sew a costume.

I tried to make baby pants last night... it went OK. I got to the waist and it went a little odd but I am going to give it an old try tonight.

beckmast said...

as the mom of a non-cuddler older than Charlotte - I can tell you that you WILL eventually get those cuddles back. Lily was the exact same way - she had no interest in the being held thing. Now we are lucky and sometimes get cuddles - esp. when she's on the potty - and pooping - Gordon calls it the "stinky hug".

Oh and if the costume sewing doesn't work out as well as the haircut... Old Navy has some REALLY cute ones ;)