Monday, May 12, 2008

home again

We made it home from our exciting weekend visiting Gram. The girls had a lot of fun. Elisabeth is now hyped up to the point I don't even recognize her as a human (she is sitting here on all fours growling ferociously at me). She is currently demanding a game of Chutes and Ladders and I'm pretending not to hear her. I'll post more commentary later, when I'm not wiped, but here's a few funny things she said - before I forget them.

She confused the words "spend" and "spank." Doug bought her three pieces of chocolate at a candy store, totalling 75 cents. He gave her the extra quarter. A few days later, she said she was going to "spank her quarter soon." Turns out spank and spend can in fact be interchanged to come up with some true assertions. Curtail government spanking. Tax and spank politicians. You see what I mean.

Doug gave me a picture book for Mother's day. The front page has me holding Charlotte all wrapped up in a blanket about an hour after her birth. Elisabeth said, "look Mommy - its Charlotte... in your knitting bag??" Oh that reminds me, I need to post about the mother's day card she gave me (round 2, involving Snow White). Maybe tomorrow.

The kid's not dumb, either. Doug offered me a cookie in the car on the way home. I said "no, I'm going to save it for a special treat later." Elisabeth was in the back seat, with her headphones on, watching a movie (Ratatouille, I believe). Some alarm went off in her head and she said, "Daddy, I want something!" Doug said, "What do you want?" She said, "I want.... some.... of..... hmmm..... I want some of that stuff you offered to mommy!" She knew it was something good, the little bugger. So he gave her a fortune cookie.

Charlotte, at the ripe old age of 9 months old, is working on opening baby gates. She's not close to succeeding, but she's working on it. She is also waving like crazy, clapping, attempting to say bye bye, and chasing cats. She's just generally lovely these days. This is why people have kids 18 months apart. They get pregnant before tantrum phase. Luckily I am not that dumb or gullible. I know what's coming.

No comments: