Saturday, June 20, 2009

CSA - Week 2

Week 2 of the CSA was a total blur as we prepared for our big journey - the subject of a soon to be written post. But in week 2 of the CSA we got more garlic scapes, a handful of sugar snap peas, some sort of cabbage, red leaf lettuce, regular lettuce, dill, an onion, collard greens and beets. I tried very hard to use the garlic scapes. I made garlic scape pesto and tossed it over some noodles. It turns out, I really dislike garlic scape pesto. It is way too strong for me. I'm going to try and repurpose the noodles into a soup, which ought to dilute the garlic scape pesto enough for me to eat.

The sugar snap peas were easily the biggest hit of the bunch. Elisabeth and Charlotte love them! They like picking out the peas inside and making Doug eat the pod - I think they like the latter part better than the former, but whatever gets greens down the kids I'm in favor of.

I really loved the red leaf lettuce, it made such a good lunch salad - I'm considering getting more from a farmers' market just to have lunch salads! I made a decent cole slaw out of the cabbage, although Doug would have preferred a sweeter cole slaw. Perhaps next time - as I'm sure we'll get more cabbage in the fall. I made the ill fated cucumber-dill dip with the dill. I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't used the onion yet, but I am pretty sure it will be ok to use when we get hoe. As for the beet? I'm at a total loss. I'm pretty sure a beet has never crossed my lips, but the point of this whole experiment was to widen my veggie horizons, so I will eat that beet. Melissa said to roast it, so I suppose that's what I'll try.

The collard greens came to Florida with us because my mother was so very excited about the prospect of fresh collard greens. Probably because our children have more energy than most power plants, the collard greens remain in the fridge uncooked. Fine with me, I know that collard greens aren't really my cup of tea. Although, my mom cooks 'em up Southern style (you know the recipe... it starts with "get out your tub of bacon grease") - so they're probably pretty good.

We took a pass on Week 3 of the CSA since we are out of town. Poor Melissa has double the veggies to deal with...

Going to the grocery store is more fun now because I can actually identify and say that I've eaten more of the leafy greens. I can't say I love leafy greens, though, and I'm ready for the more veggie looking veggies.

No comments: