Monday, June 29, 2009

The One Where Mommy Realizes #2 is Going to be Different...

Oh I had a totally different post composed in my head, one I hope to write later this week. But tonight, I realized that the terrible twos with Charlotte are going to be vastly different than they were with Elisabeth. Elisabeth takes scolding, punishment, what have you, to heart. She feels sad, she genuinely doesn't like getting into trouble. Now, I know that I'm probably mis-remembering, but what I remember about Elisabeth being two was that when she'd act up, she'd think it was all fun and games but then she'd quickly that Mommy was very unhappy with her and she'd burst into tears.

Charlotte doesn't have that mode. And, while I know it is probably not very "good mother-like" to say, there is something satisfying about seeing your kid realize that you're not happy and have that make them not happy in return. There is something infuriating about having your kid see that you're not happy and laugh in your face.

From the day we brought our dear little Charlotte home, she has been a real pain in the butt to get dressed. Honestly, from day 1. My mother commented as I laid like an injured beached whale in my recliner that she was wiry and strong and really did not want her diaper changed. Wrestling a 6 pounder is much easier than wrestling a 20 pounder. But tonight, I went head to head with the 20 pounder.

Doug left to take the dog to obedience school and I was left to wrestle Charlotte into her PJs after her bath. It started well enough - she ran over to the spot where we do diapers and said "diaper ON." But as soon as I leaned down she began to kick me and kick me and kick me. I grabbed her little leg and growled "no kicking," and she laughed. And kicked. More grabbing and growling ensued. I counted to three and gave her a timeout and tried again. I had to count to three two more times until finally I realized that she was having more fun with this 1-2-3 timeout routine than she was kicking me. I gave up and left her in her diaper.

Life is one big game for Charlotte - everything is SO! MUCH! FUN! Hitting her sister? Totally fun. Kicking mommy? Totally fun. Timeouts? Best thing ever! I was so frustrated with her that I finally left her in the corner after our last timeout and went to Elisabeth's room to seek refuge. It is so frustrating to be angry and have the object of your anger having the time of her life. Elisabeth, seeing that I was frustrated managed to get herself dressed for bed. The kid is capable of moving the Earth when she sets her mind to it, but her mind is often floating around doing nothing of import.

A cute discussion ensued between the two usually battling sisters while I ran to get "Llama Llama Red Pajama" for Charlotte. I got into Elisabeth's room and the two girls were on the bed. Elisabeth was patting Charlotte's back saying, "its ok Charlotte. I get in trouble sometimes too. Mommy's not really mad. But you can't kick Mommy." I got Charlotte dressed, read her books, and stuck her in the crib thankful for my survival.

So the terrible twos are rapidly approaching. I'm fearful that 1-2-3 Magic won't work as well this time around and have no idea how to deal otherwise... I'm glad that Charlotte is such a happy go lucky kid - maybe the 10pm news won't cause her insomnia like it does her mother, but I guess at this point I'm just hoping I make it through her tantrum phase!!

Next up: our weekend report. Costco, hiking, snakes in the garden all in one great post.

2 comments:

The Taylormoore's said...

I my friend know exactly what you are talking about. What makes them challenging children, will make them awesome adults. I just hope I survive the childhood part to see the adulthood part!

Amy said...

I too, was shocked when just counting to three didn't stop Lucy from doing things she wasn't supposed to do...usually I only got to 1 when Zoe stopped what she was doing...I wonder if it is a second child thing???