Monday, July 7, 2008

green things and the return of the tantrum(s)

I feel like I'm living the Old Testament Parenting. (caution, that link is so hilariously funny that you will spit whatever liquid you're drinking out your nose and onto your computer screen. You've been warned). Elisabeth won't eat anything with "green things" on them. I suppose this is normal for children of her age. But, I ask you, how am I supposed to cook without any herbs and spices?!?? Today's dish violated her terms on many levels. First, I marinated the chicken in a sauce that included chopped up fresh basil. Green things on the chicken. Next, I served it with a peach/apple salsa that had cilantro in it. MORE green things. "But mommy, I can't eat the greeeeeeeeeen things...." She made Doug pick the green things off. Maybe I'll just start putting her food in a strainer and running it under cold water before serving it to her. Or starving her until she'll eat green things.

Ah, tantrums. Elisabeth is perfecting hers. I think she felt her skills getting rusty and has given up learning to read for achieving the perfect tantrum. Every little thing set her off today. I asked her to come downstairs and stop hiding from Daddy because (a) he wasn't home yet and (b) he wasn't even leaving the office for another 15 minutes. Just asking her caused immediate tears, screaming, stamping her feet, and general mayhem. Then, at bath time, I told her to get on with the teeth brushing and she broke down. "I don't WANT to be with you, I want Daaaaaaaaaaaddy to be in charge of me. You're with Charlotte, I want Daaaaaaaaaddy." So I counted her to three and she kicked and screamed and wouldn't stand up. So into her room she went. Approximately 30 seconds later, she emerged. "I won't cry anymore." It is amazing how they can turn off the waterworks. But then she proceeded to lobby for being under Daddy's care and not mine.



As an aside from tantrums, unless you consider that this next behavior is going to make me throw tantrums, Elisabeth now argues with me. "Elisabeth, stop wrestling your sister." "No, but I'm just playing with her." "Are you wrestling her?" "No, but she likes it." Or, perhaps, "Elisabeth get dressed so we can go to gym class. Turn off the computer and get dressed." "No, but I'm just playing these games." "Yes, I know you're playing these games, but turn off the computer now and get dressed." "No, but I'm just going to do it in 5 minutes." What is she, 13? I haven't come up with a game plan for combating this latest tactical maneuver of hers. But Operation Mommy Is Still In Control will begin shortly.



Back to tantrums. We appear to be having a contest in this house for who can throw the best tantrums. I suspect it is the reason Elisabeth has brought her old skills out of the closet. Charlotte is coming on strong. In fact, I see more raw tantrum skills in her than in Elisabeth. She is more determined and has a hotter temper. She can really fling that little body of hers in anger. And if you aren't fast enough with getting her whatever it is she has "requested" (aka yelled for while holding her arm out like "Heil Hitler" and opening and closing her hand rapidly), a tantrum ensues. If, by some unfortunate chance, you're faced with having to actually tell her she's had enough of your rice crispy treat - well, just watch out. I think she might be a mini Incredible Hulk. Last week, I think I said this was "cute." Well, today, we officially left "cute." Mark my words, she's trouble. She is damn lucky that she's so cute.



And now, on a happier note, some pictures from our trip to Lewes:


Doug and Charlotte after she has completed her swiping of his hat.


Elisabeth's dream of "driving a firetruck" comes true!


Weird free range egg selling guy in the Doo Dah parade.


Jen and Elisabeth watching Snow White during quiet time.


Elisabeth boogies in her new ballet outfit (not at the beach, but still worth sharing)

2 comments:

The Taylormoore's said...

I'm glad to hear that it's normal for 3 year olds to explain away their bad behavior. It's pretty impressive to hear their "re-frames" of what they are actually doing. As for the pic's-- they are awesome. I'm telling you, we're in on getting a time-share. Let's do it!

Fran said...

Erica, we went through that EXACT phase of "no green things" in my food. It lasted for a LONG time. I spent many a meal picking out "green things." But, I'm happy to say that Emma is a very adventurous eater now! so there's hope :)