Wednesday, July 23, 2008

someone explain this to me

As part of my quest to eat fewer carbs, or at least balance the carbs that I do eat with some protein, I've started eating some bacon with my breakfast. I went to Costco and got the big package of Kirkland (their generic brand) precooked bacon. It said it was made by Hormel on the outside. It was absolutely delicious. Not a ton of fat, quite tasty, all in all perfect. It quickly became Charlotte's favorite food (aside from pizza, of course).

Then I ran out of this bacon. So I went to Safeway, and bought Hormel pre-cooked bacon. Ought to be the same, right? NO! This new bacon does a disservice to all things ever called bacon. It is offensive to the very notion of bacon. It tastes like I imagine a greeting card tastes - a greeting card steeped in tea made with bacon bits and cigarette ashes. Chewy is an understatement. You're better off ripping it into bits and swallowing it whole. Absolutely horrible. Charlotte tried one bite and looked at me with this look that said, loudly, "Mommy, I trusted you. Why did you do this to me?" And now she won't touch it.

So Hormel bacon branded by Kirkland? Gooooooood. Hormel bacon bought at the grocery store? Dog treats.

No comments: