Saturday, July 26, 2008

two cute words

Freeckle and googles.

This summer, we've done a lot more swimming and other outdoors activities than in summers past. We've learned that Elisabeth, brave as she is, becomes a big chicken when she might possibly get water splashed somewhere within 3 feet of her face. I feel sorry for her, because she seems genuinely petrified of getting water in her face.

Yesterday, I took her to a local water park where they have a big pool with lots of slides and they also have a "lazy river" type of thing where you can float around in a big tube or swim. Doug stayed home with Charlotte (who is sick with a summer cold!!!). I had previously thought I could handle the two girls, but I'm so glad I didn't try. Elisabeth requires both of my arms and all of my strength. Most of the kids Elisabeth's age wear life vests that they hand out for free there. The vest keeps her from sinking, but she has no faith of this fact so she clings to me for dear life. Two times she managed to let go of me and doggie paddle around. She was really proud of herself. But the lazy river was just about her greatest nightmare. We floated in a tube, her on my lap. And after 30 seconds we encountered the first of a few "water features" where they have buckets dumping water on your head. I thought she was going to have a panic attack right then and there. Needless to say, we got off of the lazy river at our first opportunity and went back to the safety of the 12 inch deep toddler pool.

Our neighbors were there also. They suggested I let Elisabeth wear goggles. She was thrilled with this. I am now worried she will want to wear goggles in the bathtub. Anyway, she calls them googles. I suppose this shouldn't be surprising since she has a very good understanding of what it means to "google something." But it is perhaps an interesting commentary on our life that our kid learns what googling something means before she learns about swim apparel.

All of this sun exposure has caused me to get more freckles. We showed our freckles to Elisabeth, who was fascinated with them. And ever since, she's been asking to see freeckles, which I think is one of the cutest mispronounciations she's had.

I'm curious to see if she demands googles at swim class tomorrow. If she does, she's out of luck. The only pair I have is useless, the rubber strap fell into about 32 pieces when I got them out last night after we got home. The good money is on Charlotte swimming before Elisabeth.

1 comment:

The Taylormoore's said...

Too funny. They are called "giggles" in our house.