Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The little one loves pizza

Yesterday, we went to our favorite lunch spot. Well one of them, anyway. We always order the same thing. I have a marinated steak kabob wrap and the girls share a 7-inch cheese pizza. We all share a basket of their amazing fries, which are fried in olive oil. My sandwich comes with baked pita chips and grapes, of which I get to eat none. They are immediately distributed to the little people. I usually come home with a takeout box with 3 pieces of pizza in it, which is exactly half of the kids pizza.

Then yesterday happened. Elisabeth, as per usual, ate my pita chips and some grapes and some fries all the while complaining the pizza was too hot. Pizza miraculously goes from too hot to too cold with Elisabeth.

A quick aside about food temperature and Elisabeth. She used to want all of her food cold. Like really cold. Essentially frozen. Just put the chicken nuggets on her plate and let her gnaw on them. Now she wants it "warm." This is a completely unattainable goal. Inevitably what I give her is too hot or too cold. I go for too hot so that there is some hope she'll touch it a few minutes later and decide it is "warm" but this doesn't frequently happen. On the off chance that I hit "warm" on the first try, I get quite an affirmation. "See, mommy! I knew you could do it! You got it warm! Good job!"

Back to pizza. So Elisabeth picked about. She managed to eat all of one piece and some of a second. Charlotte, however, plowed through the grapes I put on her plate, a bunch of fries, and ladies and gentlement, that kid at 4.5 pieces of pizza. And she was madder than a hornet when they came and took the (empty) plate away. She just sat there for thirty minutes shoving pizza pieces in her mouth as fast as I could tear them off. It was actually a sight to behold.

I was terrified to pick her up and carry her to the car through the restaurant because she's got a puking track record. I very gently carried her out. She kept it all down and then had herself a nice restful fat bellied nap.

I'm very curious to see if she's blown past the 5th percentile at her 1 yr appt.

No comments: