Wednesday, January 30, 2008

C-a-k-e

Elisabeth read the word "cake" today and made me get all teary eyed. It could have been luck, but she's been working really hard on sounding out words. C's always screw her up - c is for cookie but c is also for "certain." We were doing the activities in her National Geographic for little kids magazine, and she said "C-A-K-E, ccccc. cccaaaa. cccaaaakkk. CAKE!" It was pretty amazing.

But these days you can tell when she's unsure of whether she's doing something right or not. She doesn't want to do it in front of you. After she did the "cake" bit, I asked her to read "cow." She said "I don't want to do that right now." so I asked why, and she responded with her favorite saying these days, "I don't want to talk about it." My 2 year old, going on 14.

Yesterday, two of the kids in her preschool class got put into time-out. I always ask if anyone got put into timeout on the car ride home because, well, that's where all of the interesting stories are. Who cares if you painted with brushes or your fingers - I want to know if anyone got hit, bit, slapped, or pinched. Yesterday, though, she said "I don't want to talk about it." Hmmm. I wonder what she means by that... So I asked when she'd tell me about it, and she said she'd tell me "after bedtime." You better believe that at 7am this morning I asked her about it! She did not get put into timeout, you'll be happy to know, but another little boy and a little girl did. The little girl has had quite a few timeouts. She's a notorious hitter. Elisabeth says they weren't sharing crayons very nicely and had to have a timeout. Oh to be 3.

Oh, and Elisabeth demanded her own "picking-up" ceremony last night. We saw one at the Korean birthday party that we went to. She decided she'd put money, books, and a ball on the mat and then she would crawl over and pick up all of them. So - I'm not sure what that means. I think it means she has a great career ahead of her as a dictator or corporate CEO. Any other ideas? Oh and she got quite agitated this morning when she realized we had cleaned up her "picking-up" ceremony mat.

The writer's strike really needs to end. I'm sitting here seriously contemplating whether or not I should watch "Paradise Hotel" on the UPN next week. The answer is obviously no, but the mere fact I'm contemplating it indicates serious issues with the world. I mean, I'm not going to watch it, but you know some suckers are - and more suckers than would if the writers didn't have to strike. And then these poor people who watch the show will have to see all of the wretchedness of society. And they will in turn become wretched. So, really - the writers' strike is affecting society as a whole - sending us all to hell in a handbasket. So bring back my Grey's Anatomy already!!!

No comments: