Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Elisabeth's Red Ribbon

I have officially become a sappy mom. Elisabeth graduated from gym class today. To the tune of John Williams' Olympic themesong, she climbed up onto the stage (made of mats), received her ribbon and proudly yelled "Taaaaawn DAAAAAAAA" I have to admit I got a little teary eyed. Of course, I get teary eyed whenever an Olympic athlete gets their gold - darn that John Williams and his evocative compositions.

It is amazing what something as simple as a little red ribbon does to kids and parents. Elisabeth carried it around like her most prized possession until she got another prized possession (french fries from "Chick-a-lay"). She showed me all of the letters on it. She showed me again. She showed the other kids, who cared more about their own ribbons much to her dismay.

What the little red ribbon does to parents is even more amazing. Parents who previously sent their nannies to gym class came today, cameras in hand. Mothers, fathers, grandparents - they were all there. I calculated a 2.2:1 ratio of grown-ups to kids. And each person had a camera. That's right - there were 2.2 cameras on each kid.

Other parents are interesting to watch. Not that we're perfect by any means, but some parents in that class are the poster children of bad parenting.

I earned my red ribbon too. I graduated from mommy 'n' me classes! Finally! I'm not sure which was more exciting - graduating from law school or graduating from gym class with Elisabeth knowing that from now on I get to sit and watch Elisabeth do gym class while I sip on a latte and knit (at least until Charlotte is 18 months old). They didn't actually give me a ribbon though. Tightwads.

1 comment:

whatsthedeal said...

Gym Class Graduate! Congrats! Did you wear your mortar board? :) And screw this bar stuff, lets sip lattes and knit TOGETHER and watch gym class. That sounds fantastic.