Thursday, January 10, 2008

Waiting on the world to change...

The other day I had the radio on as we drove home from lunch. We normally listen to only children's music (by demand of the little dictator). But that day she must have been either tired or otherwise off of her game. I was completely zoned out, not really hearing whatever was on the radio. I keep hearing Elisabeth saying "why he's waiting? why? why he's waiting? why?" (kids repeat things an average 573 times - I don't even hear the first 560 times anymore). So I listen and its John Mayer's "Waiting for the World to Change"- try explaining that concept to a kid.

E: "Why he wants the world to change?"
Me: "Because things aren't going so well for him right now."
E: "What's not going so well for him mean mommy?"
Me: "Well, he's unhappy."
E: "Why he's unhappy?"
Me: "I don't know. War maybe."
E: "What's war?"
Me: "Its when two countries fight."
E: "What's a country?"
Me: "like the United States or Mexico."
E: "Like in the Beer in Mexico song?" (I kid you not)
Me: "Yes."
E: "So why he's waiting?"
Me: "He wants to be happy."
E: "Oh, ok. I'm waiting too."

So now this song has become one of her favorites. I downloaded it on iTunes and we dance around the house to it before lunch every day. Upon further reflection, it is an appropriate song for an almost 3 yr old. She spends a lot of her time waiting for her world to change. Waiting for the numbers on the clock to read 7-0-0 so that she can get up in the morning. Or 3-1-5- to be released from the prison that is her bedroom for quiet time. or for me to stop typing and play with her. Or for Daddy to come home. Oh to be 3.

2 comments:

whatsthedeal said...

I love this song. Elisabeth has good taste. And she is adorable and wise beyond her years.

Unknown said...

What a sweet story! She seems to have a strong compassionate side already. What a cutie!