Tuesday, March 25, 2008

grownups must be really strange to kids.

Today, I got a little parroting back of what I must sound like to Elisabeth. Or how she must think we adults talk. Elisabeth wore a Hello Kitty necklace to school today. She hadn't ever heard of Hello Kitty. I guess someone at school told her what it was. So in the car on the way home, she says to me,

E: Mommy, this necklace is Halo-kaity. Can you say Hey?
me: what?
E: can you say HEY?
me: hey
E: low
Me: low
E: Kaity.
Me: Kaity. You know its Hello Kitty, not Halo Kaity right?
E: OH! Hello Kitty! That's right.

Then three minutes later I hear her in the backseat saying
E: h- h-h- ham b-b-b- burger.
E: w-w-w-with, k-k-ketchup, pickles, tomatoes and steak.

(we were on our way to Wendy's)

She sounds out words all the time. The poor thing must think all adults go around sounding out words to find out what letters are in them.

And, her new saying for the day - "Holy smokes!" We can't figure out where she learned it. She came home from preschool saying it. I first heard it today when we were playing table tennis and she hit one back and yelled "Holy smokes!" in the same way an adult might yell "hot damn!" We've heard it a few more times since then.

No comments: