Friday, March 14, 2008

ughhh.... forever!

Last Friday we had Elisabeth's little friend Sam come over to play while her mommy worked. At one point, Sam wasn't sharing and so I told her we needed to share. She had had enough by that point and looked at me and said "ugh.... whatever!" And stomped off to the corner to sulk. So I told her that I was pretty sure her mother didn't let her say things like that, and I know that I don't let Elisabeth say things like that. So when Sam's mother came, I told her what had happened and she too explained to Sam that it isn't a phrase we use.

Fast forward one week. Today, while I chatted with Doug on the phone I said "well, whatever, it doesn't matter anyway." And Elisabeth promptly said, "MOMMY! We don't talk like that here. That is a naughty word!"

I tried to explain to her that "whatever" is only a naughty word when you use it like Sam did --- "Ugh.... whatever!" So all day now, she's been practicing - and I mean ALL day, at least 40 times. Not saying it because she's mad, but saying the words because she's awful confused about the whole concept. She cannot remember the word "whatever" though, and keeps saying "ughhhhh - FOREVER!" And then sweetly saying, "mommy - is that right?"

I wasn't sure whether I should correct her, ignore it, or encourage her to say "forever"- so I've done a mix of the three to further confuse the issue.

1 comment:

whatsthedeal said...

Consistency makes parenting boring, I say. :) Its good to change it up a little. Keeps those rapscallion kids on their toes.