Thursday, April 10, 2008

Wednesday adventure... sometimes they flop

It turns out that Elisabeth doesn't have fun 100% of the time. I came up with the extraordinarily brilliant idea of taking her to see a kids band at a local coffee shop. Three guys playing instruments and singing silly songs. Throngs of preschoolers dancing. What's not to love?

I invited all the kids in her preschool class to join us. Apparently some mothers aren't physically attached to their computers, like I am, so they didn't get my email in time. But one little boy joined us. Those of you who know Elisabeth will not believe me when I tell you that she was too timid to go dance with the other kids. But she was. And the other little boy was not going up there absent some tornado picking him up and physically depositing him there. So those two clung to their mommies asking if we could leave approximately every 5 minutes. When the other little boy actually took himself to the corner, we decided it was time to go.

I'm pretty sure that had any other kids from her class shown up, Elisabeth would have been out there cutting up a rug. But as it was, I didn't know my own kid. She did other things that perplexed me yesterday too. I said we needed to go to the ATM so that I'd have money to get us into Rocknocerous (yes, that is the name of the band, and no, I'm not kidding). Elisabeth said, "so that we don't have to steal any money, mommy?" WHERE does she hear these things??? Doug claims it is from a book I brought home from the library a few months ago, but really, I can't be blamed for everything. And yesterday she pointed a piece of track from her Quadrilla game at me and said "bang bang, mommy, you're dead." Somehow she's been watching movies or shows where they shoot guns and steal money.

So after the Rocknocerous disaster, we went to the library where she had moderate amounts of fun. We picked up a bunch of books for beginning readers, including 3 Arthur books that she wouldn't leave without. They're kind of dumb, but they are NOT Curious George, which is essentially my goal these days - to avoid all things Curious. We also got some learn Spanish CDs to do in the car together. We did the first CD yesterday. She follows along for approximately 15 minutes after which she takes great glee in making up her own language and shouting it back at the guy. If it weren't so funny, it would be annoying.

Feeling like a great Wednesday Adventure failure, I called Doug and asked if we could come have lunch at his office. A little McDonalds and Daddy's office made the whole Wednesday Adventure a positive experience. She really knows her way around Daddy's office - almost like she thinks it is her own. Which, I'm sure she actually does think it is her own, and she just leases it to her father.

So that was our Wednesday Adventure. Not such a hit this time.

And Charlotte seems to be dropping her morning nap. Or so she thinks. Little does she know, my sympathy for such antics is gone (Elisabeth used it all) and she will be staying in her crib for 1.5 hrs like it or not. I'm hoping she comes to her senses and realizes that later in life, no one will be providing her with ample opportunities to sleep and that she should take full advantage of this now.

No comments: