Friday, February 1, 2008

Scalia and meatballs

Elisabeth is our little literalist. I have no doubt that if another Supreme Court justice resigns and/or dies during W's term in office, she is tops on his list as a replacement. An example that struck me yesterday is that her preschool teachers asked us about 4 months ago to send her in pullups. Elisabeth has taken this to mean that she is only allowed to wear pullups, not big girl underwear, to preschool. I asked her teacher to clarify her position yesterday because, unlike the Constitution, her teacher is living.

Another example, also from yesterday. We like to dance to her favorite songs. Charlotte thinks this is great fun. It is even MORE fun when Elisabeth jumps right next to Charlotte's head, but mommy put the kibosh on that pretty early on. But with each day, I issue the same warning when I put Charlotte down on the floor while we dance. "Don't dance around your sister's head." Yesterday I put Charlotte down while the music was blaring and said "I'm going to run to the bathroom, I'll be right back, don't dance around your sister's head." I came out to see Charlotte laughing hysterically while Elisabeth "danced" (read: jumped and flailed wildly) right next to Charlotte's head. Yelling ensued. A whimpering Elisabeth said a few minutes later, "But Mommy, I didn't dance around Charlotte's head, I danced next to Charlotte's head." She is a jurisprudence paper waiting to happen.

This entry typed while sitting in my bathtub, on a study break, while eating meatballs. I love that you people will never know if this is true or not.

1 comment:

whatsthedeal said...

Oh to be a fly on the wall. Elisabeth will soon be asking you to clarify what the meaning of "is," is.