Friday, February 29, 2008

Watching movies with Elisabeth

So, I made the (perhaps regrettable) promise to Elisabeth that when I was done taking the bar, we'd watch all of her movies together. Yesterday was glorious. She was sick and I popped in Snow White and she fell asleep on the couch about 15 minutes in to the movie. It marked the first time she has (1) ever fallen asleep on the couch and (2) napped since August (except for on car trips where she often naps). It was so thrilling that I took a picture.




You might think I'm callous for enjoying my kid's sickness, but I'm not enjoying that she's sick as much as enjoying having the down time. Even with a 100+ fever, she wears me out in about 30 minutes. Plus, how often do you get to see chaos at rest?

Today, however, I got no such down time. Watching movies with Elisabeth is not quite as fun as it sounds. You know that scene in Jerry Maguire when that kid asks Jerry all of the questions? "Did you know the human head weighs 7 pounds?" Well, Elisabeth puts that kid to shame. I clocked her at an average of 4 questions a minute. Here's how Cars went today:

E: Mommy who is that?

Me: the race car, Lightning McQueen

E: Mommy why is he a race car?

Me: Why are you a little girl? he just IS a race car.

E: Mommy, wait he's not falling apart, why you said he's falling apart?

Me: no, thats another red car. Lightning is falling apart, see?

E: Mommy, that car is red tooooo!

E: Mommy, which one is Lightning The Queen?

Me: The one without the wheels.

E: Mommy, why they call him a Queen? Queens are girls, he's not a girl.

Me: no, its McQueen. Lightning McQueen.

E: mmmm aaaaa queen. maqueen? I said it?

E: Mommy, who are those other cars?

Me: the other race cars
E: Mommy, why he's not being nice?

Me: he's being conceited

E: what's conceited?

Me: did you not hear me when I said it was QUIET TIME?

And that took us through the second minute of the movie.
The highlight of the movie, for her, was seeing the signs in the movie for Route 66. I-66 here in the DC area is her favorite road because there are metro trains on it. She hollers out from the back whenever we see signs for 66. So to have 66 in the movie was a huge excitement for her.

Another promise I made to her regarding post bar exam activities is to actually take her on a metro train. That will be a very fun outing. We're going to the museum.

3 comments:

whatsthedeal said...

Like the calm before the storm. So peaceful. :) Jammin Java, next week sometime? I have to figure out the dates still. You in?

Anonymous said...

I took Liam to the Natural History museum, via the metro, on spring break last year. To this day, he still talks about it - one of his "most bestest" trips ever. Good plan :)

Claire said...

Your movie watching experience sounds like what happens at our house. David is the question king too!